Let us first know What is a moisture meter? Well, they are measuring instruments that are used to measure the percentage or amount of water in a given substance. This instrument helps us know whether the material is ready to use, wet, dry, or if it needs further investigations. Soil moisture is just one type of moisture meter that will examine the soil to find out the moisture percentage around the plant’s root. So it will help you understand if you need to add more water or stop for a few days.
In this article, we will discuss all the things you need to know about soil moisture meter and hope that in the end, you will know what is a soil moisture meter? and everything else about it.
Types of Soil Moisture Meter? And How Soil Moisture Works?
They measure the soil moisture tension, Or the potential moisture. Tensiometer is highly sensitive to soil properties by examining and finding out how tightly a particular soil type absorbs water. They are water-filled tubes At the bottom of the tube there is a porous ceramic tube and at the top of the probe, there is an above-ground gauge. As the moisture in the tube reaches equilibrium with the soil moisture outside the tube, the moisture tension gets registered on the gauge. When soil is dry, the plant must use greater suction to extract the available water from the soil. The tensiometer checks the soil water suction and shoes a reading. The higher the reading the dryer the soil.
They measure the actual volume in the soil. They can work with the irrigation system by signaling about the situation of water percentage in the soil. Like if there is short of water they signaling the need for water they can turn on the water system or if the water is abundant, they can stop the sprinklers from showering any more water.
3. Gypsum blocks:
This instrument also the moisture of the soil by measuring the tension of the water in the soil. A porous block is placed in the soil. The block contains two electrodes connected and wires are inserted into it. The other ends of the wires penetrate through the soil surface. The electrodes then measure the electrical resistance that the water generates, as the water moves up to maintain equilibrium with the soil mixture. Then the resistance reading is converted into tension values by the portable meter present in the gypsum block.
4. Time-domain reflectometry:
The technology that measures the actual soil content rather than the soil water potential is known as Time-domain reflectometry, in short TDR. The steel rods that are buried in the soil receive electrical signals from the TDR device. The sensor then measures the signal rate of return, which estimates is in the soil. If the soil is dry the signal will be faster. TDR shows accurate readings quickly and requires minimum maintenance. But the problem with TDR is that they require data interpretation and may require different calibration depending on the soil type.
Best Moisture Meter Guide To Buy:
There are some factors you need to consider before buying the best moisture meter. We will discuss them below:
- The best type of moisture meter for wood will depend somewhat on the type of wood someone is working. There are two different styles: pin-type and pinless. Pin-types are used to measure using the resistance principle that measures the flow of electricity between the two pins. The depth of the reading can be controlled by pin penetration or pin size. A pinless wood moisture meter is used to measure a large area for its MC. This technology allows the user to measure the MC of the wood without driving pins into it, by sending a 3D signal to bellow the wood surface which enables it to go deep into the wood.
- If you want to buy a concrete moisture meter then check properly if you want a moisture meter or relative humidity testing. A concrete moisture meter is not considered enough for relative humidity measuring.
- For a garden moisture meter, you need various kinds of soil conditions to keep your plants healthy. Ideal water conditions, temperature, soil pH, fertility, sunlight condition, and more can be monitored by a garden moisture meter.
- A device that provides a friendly user interface without the use of batteries makes it convenient. A complicated detector may indicate higher accuracy, but still might be difficult to operate. Thus the device should be easy to use.
- The most vital thing for devices like moisture meter is its accuracy. An inaccurate meter is just a waste of money, time, and energy. A meter with detailed values with high precision is one that everyone should search for.
- The device that can be handled easily will be the best to use. It must be convenient to use and easy to carry out. Also, it should have great durability. Thus design and adaptability are also important.
Benefits of Plant Moisture Meter:
1. Better Plan Health:
The main benefit of using a soil moisture meter in plants is that you can know your plant even better. Thus you can take care of it more carefully. Because it is really hard to know when your plant needs water. So if you water it without knowing anything, then it will be really harmful to your plant. It typically leads to root rot, where the plant’s root is no longer able to absorb water or nutrients from the soil. So by knowing how much water your plant needs, you can water them perfectly.
2. Save Water:
For outdoor plants especially you will be wasting a lot of water by overwatering your plants. By being able to check the moisture content of the soil, you will be able to eliminate the guesswork when it comes to watering your garden and potentially save a lot of water.
3. Save Money:
You can save money by decreasing the amount of water you are using if you are overwatering the plant. For some plants that are really expensive to buy, you can save them by not overwatering them, and thus your expensive plant will not be killed which will save a lot of money.
Finally, we will conclude by saying that if you have any garden full of plants then it is high time you should buy a soil moisture meter. Hope this article helped you to understand what is a soil moisture meter? And clear all your doubts about them.
Gardening Tools Questions –
- Why do the plant leaves turn yellow?
- What Are The Best Grass Shears?
- What is Hedge Trimmer?
- What Is A Soil Moisture Meter?
- When Is The Best Time To Buy a Lawn Mower?
- What is Garden Hose & Which Garden Hose Review To Read?
- How To Connect A Water Hose.
- How To care for Viburnum.
- How To Develop And Care For Viburnum.
- How To Repair a Jammed Hedge Trimmer.
- How To Maintain a Hedge Trimmer.
- How To Use an Electric Branch Scissor.
- How To Adjust Husqvarna Self-Propelled Lawnmower.
- How To Store Your Garden Hose? (15 Creative Ways To DIY).
- How To Clean Contractor’s Mortar Mess Off Bricks.
- How To Clean Self Watering Seed Trays.
- How To Water Large Indoor Plants Without Making a Mess.
- Top 10 best electric pruning shears reviews 2022 February 3, 2022
- 10 Basic Tools for Gardening in 2022 February 2, 2022
- Best Pull Behind Mowers In (2022) January 10, 2022
- The Best Garden And Patio Amazon Bestsellers in 2022 April 21, 2021
- Best Accessories & Covers For The Zero Turn Mower April 2, 2021
- Best Smallest Zero Turn Mower You Need In 2022 April 2, 2021
- Best Metal Garden Hoses March 23, 2021
- Top 10 Best Metal Garden Hose. (Reviews of 2022) March 23, 2021
- What Is The Best Retractable Garden Hose Reel? Buying Guide and FAQ 2022 March 12, 2021
- Best Cover For The Zero Turn Lawn Mower March 8, 2021
- Best Zero Turn Mower For Your Garden in 2022 March 3, 2021
- Best Lawn, Garden Tractor Battery, Sprayer And Garden Tools In 2022 January 18, 2021